10th JANUARY 2020“A time to tear and a time to sew; a time to be silent and a time to speak.” Ecclesiastes 3:7-8
Silence is a key component of our spiritual life. We understand life and God better in SILENCE! In fact, the greatest key to unlock the heart of God in our favor is to be silent before our God. Generally, in life, silence plays an important role in all that we do. But the principle is that we must know when to be silent and when to speak. A good number of our desires gets solved when we learn to speak at the right time either to God or to our fellow men. For instance, it is prudent to be silent when we are removing ourselves from conflict, listening to instruction, and when controlling our speech. Sometimes we must go before the Lord and stand still in His presence so as to listen to Him talk to us. This means that we sometimes need to be silent and get away from distractions to hear the Lord. However, there are very serious situations when we must break the silence and speak for the truth and to uphold social justice, especially when the weak are facing unjust trials. Unfortunately, so many preachers would rather prefer that people burn in hell than telling people the saving truth about life and God’s kingdom. Perhaps you may just be wondering about when to speak and when to be silent:
· It is good to be silent in anger situations, otherwise, things might go from bad to worst (Proverbs 29:11)
· Be silent from speaking evil. This will keep us out of trouble and enable grace to abound in the life of others as well (Ephesians 4:29)
· We must not be silent when it comes to saving the life of a sinner, otherwise, his blood might upon us (Ezekiel 3:18-19)
· We must speak up for those who can’t speak up for themselves. (Proverbs 31:9)
· Be silent when others are speaking. In the process of listening you might gain advice and knowledge. (Proverbs 19:20-21)
· We have to meditate on God’s word in silence, and also listen to God talk to us in the silence of our hearts. Also, after we have prayed, we have to listen to hear God talk to us. This is very important. That is how we receive solutions to our problems (Mark 1:35; Psalm 37:7)
The Scripture is telling us today that there is a time for everything under the sun; especially, there is a time to speak and a time to remain quiet. Some of us do not seem to have a regulated speech pattern. Unfortunately, that lapse has created so many problems for us in the past. Some of the things we say out of time create more problems either for us or others. Also, there are times when God speaks to us in our hearts; we are expected to be silent in order to hear the Lord loud and clear. Listening at the right time to God makes us to catch up with our miracles! Also, keeping silent at the right time keeps us out of trouble!
Father in the name of Jesus Christ, I open my heart to you today. Come speak to me and let me partake of your holy communion. Grant me the grace to speak when the need arises, and to be silent in presence. Father open my inner eyes and my inner ears, that I may behold the rare blessings of thy kingdom. I seek thy kingdom first, therefore I decree, and I declare that every other good thing shall be mine from this day onward. Thank you, Jesus, for your saving grace. AMEN.
FURTHER READING: Proverbs 10:19; Ezekiel 3:18-19; Lamentations 3:25-26